The EVIL of Female Genital Mutilation
It was our pleasure to present our sponsors with the 2019 Tennessee Eagle Forum Award, not just for sponsoring this important bill, but for their years of service to their respective districts and the State of Tennessee upholding conservative values.[In case you don't know, Eagle Forum gets its name from that passage of Scripture - Isiah 40:31.]
SB1166 has been assigned Public Chapter Number 268 by the Secretary of State.
Signed by the Governor, April 30, 2019
SB1166 by Hensley - FLOOR VOTE: as Amended Third Consideration 3/18/2019
Senators voting aye were: Akbari, Bailey, Bell, Bowling, Briggs, Crowe, Dickerson, Gardenhire, Gilmore, Gresham, Haile, Hensley, Jackson, Johnson, Kelsey, Kurita, Kyle, Lundberg, Massey, Niceley, Pody, Reeves, Roberts, Robinson, Rose, Southerland, Stevens, Swann, Watson, White, Yager, Yarbro, Mr. Speaker McNally -- 33.
SB1166 by Hensley - FLOOR VOTE: REGULAR CALENDAR PASSAGE ON THIRD CONSIDERATION 4/17/2019
Present and not voting...................2
Representatives voting aye were: Baum, Beck, Boyd, Bricken, Byrd, Calfee, Carr, Carter, Cepicky, Clemmons, Cochran, Coley, Crawford, Curcio, Daniel, DeBerry, Doggett, Dunn, Eldridge, Faison, Farmer, Freeman, Gant, Garrett, Griffey, Hakeem, Halford, Hall, Hardaway, Haston, Hawk, Hazlewood, Helton, Hicks, Hill M, Hill T, Hodges, Holsclaw, Holt, Howell, Hulsey, Hurt, Jernigan, Johnson C, Keisling, Kumar, Lafferty, Lamar, Lamberth, Leatherwood, Littleton, Love, Lynn, Marsh, Miller, Mitchell, Moon, Ogles, Potts, Powers, Ragan, Ramsey, Reedy, Rudd, Russell, Sanderson, Sexton C, Sexton J, Shaw, Sherrell, Smith, Sparks, Staples, Stewart, Terry, Thompson, Tillis, Todd, Towns, Travis, Van Huss, Vaughan, Weaver, White, Whitson, Williams, Windle, Wright, Zachary, Mr. Speaker Casada -- 90.
Representatives voting no were: Dixie, Parkinson -- 2.
Representatives present and not voting were: Chism, Powell -- 2.
Our 2019 Legislation:
STRENGTHENING TN'S FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION PROHIBITIONS:
SB 1166 by *Hensley, Gresham, Bell, White, Roberts, Briggs, Stevens, Bowling, Haile, Crowe, Bailey, Pody (HB 1364) by *Weaver, Casada, Littleton, Farmer, Griffey, Faison, Sanderson, Ogles, Garrett, Zachary, Cepicky, Sexton J, Holt, Kumar, Moody, Hill T, Sherrell, Hawk, Carter, Gant, Ragan, Smith, Carr, Boyd, Reedy, Haston, Doggett, Howell, Powers, Leatherwood, Hall, Cochran, Rudd, Johnson C, Moon, Eldridge, Windle, Coley, Hulsey, Todd
Criminal Offenses - As introduced, rewrites the criminal offense of female genital mutilation; extends the statute of limitations for criminal prosecutions or civil actions for female genital mutilation
The CDC found that approximately 513,000 women and girls in the United States were at risk for FGM/C or its consequences in 2012, which was more than three times higher than the earlier estimate, based on 1990 data.
The CDC report and the fact that the federal law was recently struck down makes it all the more important for states to act and make their laws as strong as possible: Genital mutilation must be banned - A long-standing U.S. ban on the practice was struck down
STATUS: So pleased to report that HB1364 came out of subcommittee unanimously and we are scheduled in House Judiciary on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, at 12:30.
ACTION: Please contact Rep. Bo Mitchell email@example.com, Rep. Jason Potts, firstname.lastname@example.org, Rep. Joe Towns, email@example.com, and URGE them to support this important bill.
More information available HERE.
HERE IS WHAT SB1166-HB1364 DOES:
• This bill is designed to strengthen, expand and update the present Tennessee Law.
• This bill is designed to facilitate the prosecutions for female genital mutilation (FGM) through expanding related crimes (such as facilitation and transportation), prohibiting certain defenses, including FGM as a form of aggravated child abuse, providing for civil forfeiture, civil damages, and injunctive relief, and requiring revocation of medical licenses for violators.
• Tennessee’s existing assault statutes are inadequate in prosecuting crime due to its complex nature as a cultural practice.
• This bill defines what does not constitute an affirmative defense to the commission of FGM; existing Tennessee law does not.
• This bill makes it illegal to facilitate FGM, including providing material support and resources and or hindering prosecution of FGM. It also criminalizes transport for the purpose of performing FGM.
• This bill will improve Tennessee’s current definition of FGM because mutilation practices vary widely among different cultural groups. This will aid health care workers in fulfilling their duty to report injuries associated with FGM.
• This bill provides that the state of Tennessee will have the capacity to seize money or property used in connection with FGM.
• This bill provides that victims of FGM will be empowered to pursue a civil action in court for actual damages, compensatory damages, punitive damages, injunctive relief and reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.
NEWS OF NOTE:
With [Federal] female genital mutilation ban gone, we need new legislation to protect at-risk girls .
UN Calls for Ending Female Genital Mutilation By 2030.
North Carolina Lt. Governor, State Senators Unveil Bill to Prevent Female Genital Mutilation .
Minnesota lawmaker aims to toughen state law against female genital mutilation .
IDAHO: Their FGM bill is now on the way to the Governor for his signature.
ARKANSAS: Their FGM bill is now on the way to the Governor for his signature.
SOUTH CAROLINA: H.3974 FGM bill passed the Full House!!
FGM NEWS FROM 2017:
No Evidence Haslam Administration Requires Reporting of Female Genital Mutilation to Tennessee Department of Health, Despite High Potential Risk in Nashville
Tennessee: Female Genital Mutilation Is Not One Of Our Concerns
No Screening for Female Genital Mutilation Among Arriving Refugees in Nashville During Initial Medical Exam
Female Genital Mutilation in the U. S. Will Not Stop Until Public Health Officials Collect Valid Data On Its Prevalence
Twenty-One Cases of Criminalized Female Genital Mutilation in Tennessee But No Prosecutions
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Sign-up for TN Eagle Forum's Daily Updates!